[Haskell-cafe] cabal configure && cabal build && cabal install

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Tue Nov 27 08:20:35 CET 2012

On 12-11-27 01:02 AM, kudah wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:21:33 -0500 "Albert Y. C. Lai" <trebla at vex.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Lastly, there is no "Setup install". Use "copy" and "register".
>
> $ runghc Setup.hs --help
[...]
>>    install       Copy the files into the install locations. Run register.
>>    copy          Copy the files into the install locations.

I stand corrected, thank you. But then to complete answering a previous
question, "Setup install" does not configure, does not build, and is far
from "cabal install".

> (newer) cabal build registers inplace automatically.

I see where you heard this, but it is a misrepresentation from cabal,
and older cabal has always told a similar misrepresentation.

When "cabal build" succeeds, it always says:

(older) "registering <name>-<version>"
(newer) "In-place registering <name>-<version>"

That's what it says. But use ghc-pkg and other tests to verify that no
registration whatsoever has happened.