[Haskell-cafe] cabal isn't updating local doc index after local package upgrade

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Nov 24 18:43:55 CET 2012

Haskell Platform 2012 v2.0.0, MacOS 64-bit.  (MacOS 10.8.2.)

I just used cabal to upgrade the installation of a local package I'm
writing, and I'm still seeing the old version of the documentation in
~/Library/Haskell/doc/index.html.  How can I fix this?

In more detail: this machine had greek-1.0.1 installed, but I was working
on another package that needed greek-1.1.0.  So I went into the directory
where I keep the source for the greek package, made sure it was up-to-date,
and ran

    cabal clean && cabal configure && cabal build && cabal install

as my normal user, not as root.  As far as I can tell, the rebuild was
successful; cabal's output finished with

    Installing library in
    /Users/cobbe/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.4.1/lib/greek-1.1.0/lib
    Registering greek-1.1.0...
    Updating documentation index /Users/cobbe/Library/Haskell/doc/index.html

However, when I open ~/Library/Haskell/doc/index.html in my browser, I
still see the documentation for greek-1.0.  The docs for the new version
are present, in ~/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.4.1/lib/greek-1.1.0/doc, but they
don't appear in the main index.

Am I missing a step in the process, or is this a bug in cabal?  Is there a
workaround?

I do have a couple of older versions of the greek package insatlled,
because there doesn't seem to be an easy way to remove obsolete packages.
Could they be causing problems?  If so, what's the best way to delete them?
(I don't particularly mind having the older versions hanging around, as
long as they're actually harmless.)

Thanks much,

Richard