[Haskell-cafe] Compilers: Why do we need a core language?

Sturdy, Ian sturdyi12 at mail.wlu.edu
Tue Nov 20 20:01:08 CET 2012

> * It can also be easier to apply high level optimization techniques;
> if you go straight from the highest level code to the lowest level,
> you are likely to miss optimization opportunities that are only
> revealed (or only sanely implementable) at intermediate levels.

Not to mention that since optimizations are often expressed as replacements (note how stream fusions are implemented), optimizing after desugaring reduces the number of patterns an optimization needs to match against.

By my understanding, GHC does not compile to core and then reparse the core file; 'core' is merely the name given to a certain stage in syntax tree manipulations. Thus, a compiler with no analogue of core would forego all syntax tree manipulations, instead taking the raw parse tree and running the code generator on that. And while that can be done for a sufficiently simple language, for a language with the complexity of Haskell I dare say that it is impossible:

--
Ian Sturdy
sturdyi12 at mail.wlu.edu