[Haskell-cafe] Cabal failures...

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:48:54 CET 2012

Thanks to all for the comparisons between apt & cabal.
Your reply basically explains why it is broken, and gives a rationale (cost and trouble to do it), but no prognosis for repair.

My interest is in using Haskell for teaching, and so far the package system failures often present problems that I can't solve for all but the simplest examples, so I couldn't much pass this onto students! My libraries may have gotten corrupted, so when I get time I will try to reset and clean out everything and start over, but that will of course break a lot of things and take a lot of time for some re-installs, most particularly things depending on underlying C libraries.

Any hints for a simple way to do this are welcome.

I look forward to the outcomes from the current cabal discussions.

It was also  interesting to note a comment that most developers don't have access to a Windows machine for testing. With Windows at >90% of the computing market (Linux = 1.6%), this seems like a problem which might limit growth of Haskell usage. Just an observation. :-)

Thanks for your article on the topic of Cabal - interesting!