[Haskell-cafe] Automation of external library installation in haskell package.

Maksymilian Owsianny maksymilian.owsianny at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 19:22:51 CET 2012

Hello Haskell-Cafe,

I have created a package that requires an external library to be present on
the machine.
Because of that, obviously, hackage fails to build it, and subsequently
fails to generate
documentation.

So my question is, how should I go about configuring Cabal/Setup.hs to
automatize the
process to allow hackage to build it properly and also simplify the package
installation
for the user.

The packages that I'm talking about are bindings to
Awesomium<http://awesomium.com/>
:
awesomium-raw <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/awesomium-raw>
and subsequently, the higher level ones that depend on it
awesomium <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/awesomium>
awesomium-glut <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/awesomium-glut>

Specifically, the installation process for linux is described as follows:

To install Awesomium, you'll need to add the shared library to your
> system's library search path. On Ubuntu, you can use the following
> commands:
>
>     cd awesomium_v1.6.5_sdk_linux32
>     sudo mkdir /usr/lib/awesomium-1.6.5
>     sudo cp -r build/bin/release/* /usr/lib/awesomium-1.6.5
>     sudo ldconfig /usr/lib/awesomium-1.6.5

So if anyone could give me some hints, or point me to package that have a
similar,
external-library-copying-and-registering installation process i would be
grateful.