[Haskell-cafe] How to determine correct dependency versions for a library?

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:35:57 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Tobias Müller <troplin at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Clark Gaebel <cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > To prevent this, I think the PVP should specify that if dependencies get
> > a major version bump, the package itself should bump its major version
> > (preferably the B field).
>
> No, it has nothing to do with major/minor version bumps. It's just that if
> you underspecify your dependencies, they may become invalid at some point
> and you cannot correct them.
> Overspecified dependencies will always remain correct.

This is required if you want to maintain the property that clients don't
break.

If A-1.0 dependes on B-1.0.* and C depends on both A-1.0.* and B-1.0.*.
Bumping dependency in A on B to B-2.0.* without bumping the major version
number of A will cause C to fail to compile as it now depends on both
B-1.0.* (directly) and B-2.0.* (though A-1.0).

-- Johan