[Haskell-cafe] GHC for mobile devices?

Casey Basichis caseybasichis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 21:50:33 CET 2012

Hi Kris,

No offense taken, it was an argument that works to shut down
constructive discussion of how to get Haskell running on mobile, a task
which has perplexed me for several long days.  I agree most apps are pretty
terrible, at least on iOS though, despite the percentages being wildly off
there are still a few hundred apps that are very well done and thoughtful,
none of them using Haskell I'm sure.

I'm looking to pass Haskell lists of musical data and return processed
musical ideas from it (not audio, not realtime).  I was also planning on
handling a database within Haskell as the information contained would be
used by the music processing and from what I have read Haskell interfaces
to SQL far more readily than with a C++ orm type solution.  I was planning
on working with Haskells Euterpea as base to build my ideas off of, my I
might end up rolling my own similar library as my aims are a bit different
than theirs.

Everything else would be C++, including the interface, audio and dsp
processing etc.   I already have the C++ stuff running on my phone.  I have
read about the difficulty of getting Haskell working in real world
scenarios, but as far as I understand my plans for it are fairly well
suited to it.

Since much of the documentation online about Haskell seems to be out of
date, its tough to get a general feel for whats working.  I see people
mention that cross-compilation was finished a while back which should allow
for targeting arm but nothing concrete and the website gives conflicting
info.  I've also considered using GHC to generate C to paste into the
project but it seems there have been and may be more integrated ways to get
it running.

casey

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Kristopher Micinski <krismicinski at gmail.com

--