[Haskell-cafe] Motion to unify all the string data types

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sat Nov 10 07:22:41 CET 2012

* Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> [2012-11-09 19:00:04-0800]
> As a community we should primary use strict ByteStrings and Texts. There
> are uses for the lazy variants (i.e. they are sometimes more efficient),
> but in general the strict versions should be preferred.

I'm fairly surprised by this advice.

I think that lazy BS/Text are a much safer default.

If there's not much text it wouldn't matter anyway, but for large
amounts using strict BS/Text would disable incremental
producing/consuming (except when you're using some kind of an iteratee
library).

Can you explain your reasoning?

Roman