[Haskell-cafe] Cross platform method for getting the /actual/ contents of a directory

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:52:23 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM, <timothyhobbs at seznam.cz> wrote:

> And this works fine on linux, but I wonder.  On other systems, is "." and
> ".." allowed as file names?  Couldn't a windows user actually end up with a
> file name named "." and this method would fail?

Windows treats dots in filenames specially as well, although differently
specially.  I am not sure about . but .. certainly works on Windows if
you're not in the drive's root.  There are some other situations where dots
in names are rejected (two or more in a row, other than .. itself, IIRC?)
because of backward compatibility.

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net