[Haskell-cafe] Defining a Strict language pragma

Stephen Chang stchang at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 6 20:25:19 CET 2012

Hi Johan (and haskell-cafe),

I work on the Racket language (but I'm also interested in Haskell so
I've been following this list and I am consistently impressed with
what the Haskell community has produced!). In Racket, we are very
interested in the problem of inter-language operation, like what you
suggested, with the goal of creating a framework that supports
programs where each module potentially uses a different language.

You might be interested in checking out Matthews and Findler's work on
interlanguage interoperability, which addresses the theory of how
languages can interoperate in a safe manner.

On the practical side, we have had success getting Typed Racket and
(untyped) Racket to safely interoperate by using contracts at module
boundaries to specify and enforce the desired program properties. See
Sam Tobin Hochstadt's dissertation for more details.

For lazy-strict language interoperation, I'm not sure if a pragma is
sufficient. Matthias Felleisen and I have looked into this but we've
run into problems since in
a higher-order language, strict and lazy functions can easily flow back
and forth between the two worlds and like you mentioned, it's not
clear how we want each to behave. For example, in a strict module, if
you define a function, you can avoid thunking the arguments when the
function is called, but what happens if you export the function and
use it in a lazy module, which passes in a thunk. Do you have to
preemptively insert bangs in your strict function to handle this? We
have considered something similar to the Typed Racket solution --
adding strictness
patterns at boundaries to describe the interactions -- analogous
to higher-order contracts -- but it is not clear if this is sufficient
to make all flows safe.