[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] hashable-generics

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Mon Nov 5 00:00:09 CET 2012

Clark Gaebel <cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> @dag:
>
> I would love for this to be merged into Data.Hashable, and I think it would
> make a lot of people's lives easier, and prevent them from writing bad hash
> functions accidentally.

Jfyi, a discussion came up when I posted a proposal to add a
generics-based NFData deriver to the 'deepseq' package, with the result
that the generics-based code was put in the separate `deepseq-generics`
package:

 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/17940

...and since there's plan (iirc) to bring the 'hashable' package into
the haskell-platform, some of the arguments brought up in that thread
with respect to the 'deepseq' package might apply here as well.

cheers,
hvr