[Haskell-cafe] Deriving settings from command line, environment, and files

David Thomas davidleothomas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:26:01 CET 2012

Is there a library that provides a near-complete solution for this?
I looked around a bit and found many (many!) partial solutions on hackage,
but nothing that really does it all.  In coding it up for my own projects,
however, I can't help but feel like I must be reinventing the wheel.

What I want is something that will process command line options (this
seems to be where most packages are targetted), environment variables,
and settings files (possibly specified in options), and override/default
appropriately.

Did I miss something?

If not, I'd like to see about fixing the situation, but very much want
to avoid the whole "There were X libraries that didn't quite do it right;
now there's X+1!" thing.  Are there any opinions as to which of the many
libraries is likely the best starting point if I'm going to contribute
to one of them?