[Haskell-cafe] Need inputs for a Haskell awareness presentation

Anton Kholomiov anton.kholomiov at gmail.com
Thu May 31 21:15:38 CEST 2012

a) you can generate c++ with it :) (but don't tell it.
it may be regarded as offense)

b) -

c) -

d) stop debugging, you don't need it that much in
haskell. But you need profiler. If they really want
to print something in pure function you can show
them function 'trace', from Debug.Trace

e) I don't think that C++ people think that types are bad.
If they do you can tell (beside the types don't let you
mess up to much and stimulate clarity and documentation)
about how easy is to do refactoring in typed language.

f) You can show them Atom [1]. 5k Haskell code generates
20k C-code and it all works in real time in real trucks.
Or Copilot. It's going to be used in airplanes.

4. I think it's bad idea. It's better to start with
examples.

What really strikes me about haskell is the simplicity of
data types. I think the best way to start is to show
Booleans, then lists, then Trees. It's so simple and
beautiful

You can say. Do you really need to know anything
about syntax to understand this:

data Bool = False | True

or this

data Time = Time Hour Minute Second

or this

data List a = Nil | Cons a (List a)

and you can say that it is not built in. You can define it
yourself and it works as fast as any other data type
(or as slow).

You can stress the idea of haskell data types is
haskell UML.

Don't show definitions just show them types like this:

not :: Bool -> Bool
and :: Bool -> Bool -> Bool

reverse :: [a] -> [a]

then you can show definitions and say about pattern matching.
It is very intuitive.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/atom