[Haskell-cafe] Requesting Feedback: I Love Haskell, but can't find a place to use it

Jonathan Geddes geddes.jonathan at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:42:20 CEST 2012

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

>J. W. wrote:
>have you considered "your head" as such a place that should be easy to
find.
> even "just for specifying things", Haskell is tremendously useful.
>even if you don't write programs, but just their types.
>you can express your software design that way,
> and have it formally verified (by the compiler's type checker).

Yes! And in fact this is exactly how I use Haskell now (aside from little
scripts and such). It has had a HUGE effect on the way I write software.
There have been a number of times that a colleague has asked what a strange
comment was in my Java[Script] code. When I tell them that the funny
looking one-liner is the Haskell equivalent of the following 30+
Java[Script] lines, they are incredulous, to say the least. But taking that
beautiful Haskell one-liner and manually transcribing it into an imperative
language feels like being a human compiler. My favorite example of this was
the use of the power set in JavaScript:

>//powerSet = filterM (const [True, False])

and then a few dozen JavaScript lines it "compiled down to" via the human
compiler.

--J Arthur