[Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Mon May 21 16:43:57 CEST 2012

Ryan Newton <rrnewton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do think we have the opposite problem, however, in much Haskell code
> -- people are using the clean, obviously correct, but inefficient code
> even in standard library functions that really should be optimized
> like crazy!

Not necessarily.  For example the 'nub' function from Data.List could be
much faster.  Unfortunately this would also change its type.  O(n²)
complexity is really the best you can get with the Eq constraint.  You
have to change to Ord for better performance.

In other words:  Some optimizations change the semantics, and semantics
is taken very seriously in Haskell, for which I'm grateful.

Greets,
Ertugrul

--
Key-ID: E5DD8D11 "Ertugrul Soeylemez <es at ertes.de>"
FPrint: BD28 3E3F BE63 BADD 4157  9134 D56A 37FA E5DD 8D11