[Haskell-cafe] darcs patch dependencies in dot format

Soenke Hahn shahn at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun May 20 20:03:38 CEST 2012

On 05/16/2012 11:43 AM, wren ng thornton wrote:
> Also, have you compared your transitive reduction to just outputting the
> whole graph and then using `tred`? The latter approach has the distinct
> downside of needing to serialize the whole graph; but it could still be
> a win unless you intend to implement similar algorithms yourself. The
> smart algorithms do *much* better than brute force.

I've done some profiling and found that the executable is spending about
half of its time executing my brute force graph algorithm. So doing
something smarter here (like using "tred") seems like a good idea.

The bad news is that without running my inefficient algorithm the
executable still doesn't scale well. Maybe there is a better way to let
the darcs library compute the patch dependencies.

> And of course it'd be nice to be able to pass arguments to the program
> in order to filter and otherwise manipulate the resulting graph. A lot
> of that can be done by special programs which only know about the Dot
> language (e.g., tred), so you should only focus on things which aren't
> captured by the Dot language or are otherwise only knowable by querying
> Darcs.

Sounds reasonable. Command line options would be nice.