[Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?

Gregg Lebovitz glebovitz at gmail.com
Wed May 16 23:23:30 CEST 2012

On 5/16/2012 3:57 PM, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> Comparing languages is a highly non-trivial matter involving various
> disciplines (including various squidgy ones) and rarely makes sense
> without a very specific context for comparison. So the short answer
> is: mu. Discovering the long answer requires a lifetime or more of
> research and may not actually result in an answer.
Depends on your goal.

 From the discussion on the cafe, it appears that many believe
performance is not the only criteria for evaluating languages. I agree
with the comment made by Ertugrul Söylemez. Some people  focus on
getting the best performance because they don't know any better. If
given better evaluation criteria they might think differently.

Asserting the other criteria publicly helps others understand the
benefits of Haskell, otherwise they just see the lower performance
numbers from places like the debian contest.