[Haskell-cafe] darcs patch dependencies in dot format

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:31:50 CEST 2012

> On 16 May 2012 19:43, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:

>> You should probably farm out the toDot rendering to one of the libraries
>> that focuses on that[1], since they'll have focused on the efficiency
>> issues--- or if they haven't, then you can contribute improvements there,
>> helping everyone win. In particular, you're using Strings which is a
>> notorious performance sink. Using Text or ByteStrings would be far better.

I'm not sure swapping to Text or ByteStrings make be much great shakes
for this. If you are generating huge files, where it would count -
then the files are going to be a real problem for Graphviz to render
(unless Graphviz has seen some optimization recently...).

That said, I would recommend Sönke uses a pretty print library rather
than Printf as using the former makes for much more idiomatic for
Haskell and generally performs well enough for "generational"
activities even if it uses Strings internally.

Best wishes

Stephen