[Haskell-cafe] Issues with installing packages

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Sun May 6 23:01:23 CEST 2012

On 12-05-05 04:19 PM, Graham Berks wrote:
> New to haskell and having issues resolving packages, have the following
> output below and can't seem to resolve it.
>
> Text seems to have diff hash dependancies when I try and instal a diff
> version of 0.11.2.0 etc
>
> Any ideas on what todo ??
>
> Thanks
>
> $ ghc-pkg check
> There are problems in package scion-browser-0.2.8:
> dependency "text-0.11.2.0-2b6cea8526e93af24bb0154400fd64a6" doesn't exist
[etc]

See my
http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml
for the significance of the hash value and more ways to break things.

My article mostly doesn't say how to fix things (partly because there
are many factors: problem details, self-inflicted constraints aka
personal preferences). But knowing how GHC packages work may help you
devise your tailored solution.

Well, I suppose there is always the sledgehammer of erasing everything:
erase $HOME/.ghc, erase GHC. (Again, see my article for why erasing
$HOME/.cabal solves absolutely no problem.)