[Haskell-cafe] Annoyed at System.Random

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Fri May 4 11:48:32 CEST 2012

On 05/04/2012 01:35 AM, Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> Vincent has done great work for Haskell+Crypto so I think he knows I
> mean nothing personal when I say cprng-aes has the right idea done the
> wrong way.  Why a new effort vs Vincent's package?
>
> 1. cprng-aes is painfully slow.
when using the haskell AES implementation yes. with AESNI it fly, and even more when
i'll have time to chunk the generation to bigger blocks (says 128 AES block at a
time)
> 2. It doesn't use NI instructions (or any C implementation, currently).
The NI instructions support are coming. and there's ton of already existing C
implementation
that could just be added.

> 3. It isn't backtracking resistent.  I plan to follow the SP and test
> against the KATs.
I'm not sure i understand this. what's backtracking resistent ?

--
Vincent