[Haskell-cafe] Creating a dependency graph (in the hope it may show some structure)

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:15:01 CEST 2012

Dear Haskelllers,

I've reacently started with Haskell and during the Dutch Hackaton[3],
I decided to generate graphs of dependencies. I was thinking about
doing this for Java earlier, and that weekend I decided to write the
tooling in Haskell.

I've written two programs: hs2dot[1] and dotimate[2]. The first
generates a dot file (Graphviz) from all .hs files below the current
working directory. The second will take one or more dot files and call
neato (from Graphviz) multiple times to generate frames of neato
output from one to the next.

Trying hs2dot and dotimate on two sequencial commits in the
cabal/cabal-install/frames directory already gives me a way to complex
and full graph. See attached.

==> My question is: What dependencies, if any, would be nice to graph,
and/or which dependencies could I filter out to keep this from
becoming a mess?

Greetings,

Bram Neijt

[1] https://gist.github.com/bneijt/hs2dot