[Haskell-cafe] An APL library for Haskell

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 8 14:45:19 CET 2012

Friends

Many of you will know the array language APL<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_%28programming_language%29>.   It focuses on arrays and in particular has a rich, carefully-thought-out array algebra.

An obvious idea is: what would a Haskell library that embodies APL's array algebra look like?  In conversation with John Scholes and some of his colleagues in the APL community a group of us developed some ideas for a possible API, which you can find on the Haskell wiki here: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/APL

However, we have all gone our separate ways, and I think it's entirely possible that that the idea will go no further.  So this message is to ask:

*         Is anyone interested in an APL-style array library in Haskell?

*         If so, would you like to lead the process of developing the API?

I think there are quite a few people who would be willing to contribute, including some core gurus from the APL community: John Scholes,  Arthur Whitney, and Roger Hui.

Simon