[Haskell-cafe] How helpful is h-99 (and should we complete the missing ones)?

Ziyao Wei zw324 at nyu.edu
Fri Mar 30 03:46:35 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I am new at Haskell, but I am trying to learn as much as possible.

While learning, I noticed that h-99 (the 99 Haskell problems) are highly
recommended on haskell.org. However, the answers to the 99 problems are not
finished, and some of the answers are not really Haskell-ish.

So here's my question: how useful is h-99 (are they overrated as learning
tools)? I find myself solve most of them in a "from the scratch" fashion
(e.g., no Monad, no Applicative, no Functor aside from List and a few
Maybe). Some of them are paper-worthy, for example the prime problems. I
hope some guru-level Haskeller could do away the missing few, and maybe
dive deeper into the surface to produce more insights (like the knights
travel page or the sieve paper, which are both beautiful).

And of course, if anyone could tell me how to learn Haskell without
treating it as just another functional language, I'd be very grateful:)

Thanks,

Ziyao