[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code - Lock-free data structures

Tim Harris (RESEARCH) tharris at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 29 15:46:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

Somewhat related to this...

Next month we have a paper coming up at EuroSys about a middle-ground between using STM and programming directly with CAS:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/tharris/papers/2012-eurosys.pdf

This was done in the context of shared memory data structures in C/C++, rather than Haskell.

It might be interesting to see how the results carry over to Haskell, e.g. adding short forms of specialized transactions that interact correctly with normal STM-Haskell transactions.

In the paper we have some examples of using short specialized transactions for the fast paths in data structures, while keeping the full STM available as a fall-back for expressing the cases that cannot be implemented using short transactions.

 --Tim