[Haskell-cafe] Arguments against an hypothetical Data.ByteString.Generic?

Yves Parès yves.pares at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:00:43 CEST 2012

Hello,

As vector provides a class generalizing all flavours
(Data.Vector.Generic.Vector), it occurs to me that the same could be done
for ByteString. Then, packages based on it would have the choice between
hardcoded and generic, they wouldn't have to duplicate a module to handle
both strict and lazy versions, as (with the exception of functions for
communication with C code) they already provide the same API.
I would be willing to make it, it's a concern I've had in mind for a long
time, but as I'm pretty sure the idea isn't new, I would very much like to
know if and what arguments (related to performance maybe ? I don't know...)
were raised against that.