[Haskell-cafe] Mathematics and Statistics libraries

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Mar 26 09:35:24 CEST 2012

Tom Doris <tomdoris at gmail.com> writes:

> If you're interested in UI work, ideally we'd have something similar
> to RStudio as an environment, a simple set of windows encapsulating an
> editor, a repl, a plotting panel and help/history, this sounds
> superficial but it really has an impact when you're exploring a data
> set and trying stuff out.

I agree, this sounds really nice.

> I really disagree that we need a data frame type structure; they're an
> abomination in R, they try to accommodate event records and time
> series, and do neither well.

Just to clarify (since I think the original suggestion was mine), I
don't want to copy R's data frame (which I never quite understood,
anyway), but I'd like some standardized data structure, ideally with an
option to label columns, and functions to slice and join.  The
underlying structure can just be a list of columns (Vector) or whatever.

-k