[Haskell-cafe] Mathematics and Statistics libraries

Gershom Bazerman gershomb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 00:33:47 CET 2012

On 3/21/12 3:00 PM, Ryan Newton wrote:
> I think such libraries are high priority!
>
> My own experience with them is not deep, but I'll echo what I think is
> a common observation:
>
>   * Matrix libraries are good
>   * Statistics libs need more work

I would also be very excited about a solid statistics proposal. The
ticket Aleksey links to is a good start (as is the experience report
linked from there), although I think that it would be possible to
implement a core library with less type-trickery than he supposes. Such
an interface wouldn't necessarily be perfectly statically safe, but
other, tricker interfaces could be built on top of it (just as we have
fancier type-level interfaces with statically checked dimensions on top
of lower-level matrix libs, etc.). I envision a set of tools that let
users get up and running with loading a dump of data and calculating a
set of metrics on it with only a few lines. It should be designed such
that the basic framework is easily extensible with various other
analyses, and such that analyses compose fairly straightforwardly. Which
indeed amounts to some Frame-type structure, and a core set of functions
on it :-)

--g