[Haskell-cafe] Open-source projects for beginning Haskell students?

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Mar 23 09:38:04 CET 2012

Tom Murphy wrote:
>      If you want to do Haskell audio synthesis, you could also use
> hsc3 (good start here: http://slavepianos.org/rd/ut/hsc3-texts/). With
> hsc3 you can start on serious audio synthesis with only a few lines of
> Haskell. In my opinion it could use a much larger community.

While Rohan's bindings to SuperCollider are great, I have found that
SuperCollider itself is quite difficult to understand for a new user.
(My tomata-rubato project aims to be much easier to learn.)

Also, as far as I am aware, you can't do low-level audio programming in
SuperCollider, i.e. play a list of samples that you've calculated
yourself. That's cool if you're only interested in sound design, but bad
for learning how audio programming works.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus