[Haskell-cafe] hasktags - etags backend, any reason to not remove function arguments from tag files?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Mar 20 15:38:54 CET 2012

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> hasktags -e generates lines containing the function arguments. For
> Example:
>
>   f0 foo\x7f5,6
>
> The "foo" is the function arg, not the keyword to be tagged.

I've given the issue a bit more thought based on the wikipedia
description[1], according to which format an etag line should have is:

|   {tag_definition_text}<\x7f>{tagname}<\x01>{line_number},{byte_offset}
|
| {tagname} (along with \x01) can be omitted if the name of the tag can
| be deduced from the text at the tag definition.

...the problem here seems that Emacs can't deduce the tagname from the
definition text, thus the "{tagname}<\x01>" part should be explicitly
generated by hasktags IMHO

I guess (= I haven't checked the actual elisp code) that
'{tag_definition_text}' is useful for Emacs to help compensate for
changed line-numbers since etags-generation-time, when locating the
original definition-line...

 [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctags#Etags_2