[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code 2012

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:00:22 CET 2012

It is that time of year again; the Google Summer of Code is upon us!

If you are a student and want to sign up to make $5,000 for hacking on the
code you love over the summer or are willing to help out as a mentor, now
is the time to act.

Please sign up by adding your name to the list at:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/People2012

Our main wiki entry for the Summer of Code 2012 is now online:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/Soc2012

If you are interested in applying as a student, here are some guidelines:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/wiki/StudApply2012

Student signups with Google start next week, but it is a good idea to start
discussing things with potential mentors as soon as possible. The official *
deadline* for student applications with Google is April 6th, but if you are
interested please add your name to the People2012 page above, as soon as
possible!

*Interested in helping out, but not sure how?*

There are a number of ideas that we've been collecting for projects
available through the trac

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/report/1

and which have been collecting over time in a reddit we used to use in
years past:

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell_proposals/top/

While that reddit and the larger

http://reddit.com/r/haskell

reddit is a great place to discuss proposals, we had to choose one
mechanism to supply Google with our ideas officially, so please submit
proposals to the trac if you can think of something you like to work on, or
which would be an appropriately beneficial project for a summer worth of
work.

*Helping Out Darcs*

Haskell.org is planning to continue to act as an umbrella organization
covering darcs for the Summer of Code once more. If you are interested in
helping them out, they also have a page full of project ideas as well:

http://wiki.darcs.net/GoogleSummerOfCode

Again, please submit proposals as tickets to the trac if you can think of
something you'd like to work on or have a neat idea for something someone
else might want to work on (especially if you'd be willing to mentor it!)

Of course, you can always feel free to email me or inquire on
irc.freenode.net on #haskell or #haskell-soc or with the darcs folks over
on #darcs for more information. If you don't have an IRC client, you can
get there from: http://webchat.freenode.net

Thank you all very much and we look forward to another successful Summer of
Code!

-Edward Kmett