[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code - Lock-free data structures

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 01:59:42 CET 2012

On Mar 18, 2012 6:39 PM, "Florian Hartwig" <florian.j.hartwig at gmail.com>
wrote:
> GSoC stretches over 13 weeks. I would estimate that implementing a data
> structure, writing tests, benchmarks, documentation etc. should not take
more
> than 3 weeks (it is supposed to be full-time work, after all), which means
> that I could implement 4 of them in the time available and still have some
> slack.

Don't underestimate the time required for performance tuning, and be
careful to leave yourself learning time, unless you have already
extensively used ThreadScope, read GHC Core, and worked with low-level
strictness, unpacking, possibly even rewrite rules.  I suspect that the
measurable performance benefit from lockless data structures might be
tricky to tease out of the noise created by unintentional strictness or
unboxing issues.  And we'd be much happier with one or two really
production quality implementations than even six or seven at a student
project level.

--
Chris Smith