[Haskell-cafe] Prettier pretty-printing of data types?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 13:55:01 CET 2012

Hi all,

I've got a question that pertains to any of these identify-region, parse,
make-expandable approaches.

The main use I'd like to use the trick for (esp. Chris's Emacs version) is
to deal with large intermediate compiler ASTs.

But if a compiler produces a long stream of output to stdout, with certain
Show-produced ASTs embedded in it, what's the most expedient way to
identify those regions that can be collapsed in the buffer and
interactively expanded?

   - The user could define heuristics for identifying those regions in a
   particular stream of output
   - If the source is available, the compiler could be tweaked to obey a
   protocol, putting delimiters around collapsable output (possibly
   non-printing control sequences??)

Or is there another hack I'm not thinking of?  What's easiest?

  -Ryan