[Haskell-cafe] Best way to use the google visualization (javascript) API rather than static image charts (hs-gchart)?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 05:48:04 CET 2012

Hello cafe,

I've got a benchmarking script which currently generates gnuplot scripts
(of simple lines and points) and I'd like to port it to use two** new
backends:

  (1) Chart for PDF generation and gtk viewing
  (2) Something-or-other for generating pretty interactive charts in the
browser, suitable for pasting into blog posts.

I was hopeful regarding "hs-gcharts", but it looks like that only works for
the charts that generate static images given a URL, as described here:
   http://code.google.com/apis/chart/image/docs/making_charts.html

Rather than interactive ones, like this JSAPI based pie chart:
   http://code.google.com/apis/chart/interactive/docs/quick_start.html

So where to start?  Has anybody tried this before?  Perhaps the best thing
to do is just use HJScript to produce the desired JS code:

https://github.com/chrisdone/amelie/blob/master/src/Amelie/View/Script.hs
    output here: http://hpaste.org/js/amelie.js

Thanks,
 -Ryan

** One would be great but I'm pretty sure no such thing currently exists.