[Haskell-cafe] Theoretical question: are side effects necessary?

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Sat Mar 17 05:24:02 CET 2012

Quoth KC <kc1956 at gmail.com>,

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Jerzy Karczmarczuk
> <jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr> wrote:
>
>> ... but the question of purity of a program - in my opinion - concerns
>> the program, and nothing else.
>
> You might be thinking of software engineering purity.

Or software engineers might be thinking of purity in the same way.
I personally hope I think of purity in a way that's of some practical
use in terms of Haskell programs, and I would hope software engineers
in general would do likewise.  From that perspective, it seems to me
that M. Karczmarczuk is on pretty solid ground.

	Donn