[Haskell-cafe] cabal-install problem with alex dependency in bytestring-lexing

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Mar 16 15:46:41 CET 2012

The Yesod docs all state very explicitly that we depend on the Haskell
Platform, and in particular that alex needs to be installed. However,
that doesn't stop this issue from confusing people.

I think a good short term solution could be what Alan Zimmerman did
with language-javascript: include the files generated by alex in the
tarball, so that there is no alex dependency for installing from
Hackage. You would only need alex for developing.

Ideally I think cabal-install should be able to handle installation of
build tools- possibly to its own private folder where it's properly
versioned.

Michael