[Haskell-cafe] cabal test-suite library recompilation

Ozgur Akgun ozgurakgun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:16:06 CET 2012

Hi all,

I've recently started to move my tests to use the new cabal test-suite
framework.

Old setup:
The cabal file compiles one library + a few executables. The library
contains almost all of the code and exposes the necessary modules for use
by the executables. The executables mainly consist of one main file. This
way, the library is only compiled once and used multiple times by the
executables. Great.
One of the executables compile a test runner, and is handled similarly.

New setup, using test-suite:
I've deleted the executable section for the test runner and added a
test-suite section instead. To my surprise, the library is compiled twice
now. Hence, it takes twice as long. And it is a clear regression compared
to my old setup.

While waiting for a build to finish [ :) ], I just wanted to write an email
and check if this is intentional or only an oversight. Or maybe a technical
limitation for the time being?

Thanks,
Ozgur