[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: string-conversions-0.1

Sönke Hahn shahn at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 9 15:10:19 CET 2012

Hi Joachim!

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> you could elaborate the documenatation “Assumes UTF-8” – I guess this
> only applies to the two ByteString variants, as String and Text _should_
> contain unicode codepoints and no encoding. Not that someone tries to
> use a String where each Char corresponds to a byte in a UTF-8 encoded
> string and thinks he can convert it correctly.

Good point. I added a longer comment (in the repo).

> I was about to suggest to merge this into the convertible package (to
> fight package proliferation), but found that it seems it is already
> there:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/convertible-
text/0.4.0.2/doc/html/src/Data-Convertible-Instances-Text.html

I am aware of the Convertible class (and I really like it, btw.). But I
wanted to allow for explicit string conversion. Data.Convertible.convert
includes conversions with information loss (e.g. Float -> Int), while
Data.String.Conversions.convertString (converts only strings and) preserves
information in all cases.

Cheers,
Sönke