[Haskell-cafe] GHCi fails to load C++ object files (missing symbol)

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Thu Mar 8 14:34:06 CET 2012

On 8 Mar 2012, at 13:21, Mark Wright wrote:

> It might work without -fpic on x86 (32 bit):
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@gentoo.org/msg01420.html

On OS X, it is always on; I tried the example on 10.7, Xcode 4.3. I had to add
  ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer /Developer
as ghc 7.0.4 looks for /Developer/usr/bin/gcc. For some funny reason ghc is at /usr/bin/ghc; since it is not a system distribution, it should be at /usr/local/bin/, which is also in the system path.

On x86-64, there special relative addressing support, so there is no reason having it turned off, but some other good reasons for having on, like the security reason mentioned here:
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7078253/pic-on-osxs-gcc

Hans