[Haskell-cafe] Question about concurrency, threads and GC

Alp Mestanogullari alpmestan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 12:50:17 CET 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The tutorial I gave for CUFP 2011 was a multi-user web chat program using
> the Snap Framework. STM channels make this kind of problem super-easy to
> deal with. Don't be afraid of forking lots of Haskell threads for programs
> like this, because they're "green" threads, not OS threads (i.e. Haskell
> threads are M:N multiplexed onto OS threads) and as such they have very
> little overhead.
>
> Maybe you'll find the code interesting:
> https://github.com/snapframework/cufp2011. The "business logic" of using
> STM channels is here:
> https://github.com/snapframework/cufp2011/blob/master/src/Snap/Chat/ChatRoom.hs

That's exactly what I would have needed, several times in the past 2 years.
I've been wondering about a good way to abstract this to have a library
where you'd just plug your "business logic" and thus not have to care
anymore about the implementation details, once and for all. I don't have
the feeling stm-channelize is the best we can achieve. This really can be
made simpler from the user's point of view.

--
Alp Mestanogullari