[Haskell-cafe] Haskell showcase in 5 minutes - follow-up

Arnaud Bailly arnaud.oqube at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:32:37 CET 2012

Hello Cafe,
Thanks to all of you who provided ideas and suggestions for introducing
Haskell. I finally went the simple way, presenting the "knapsack" problem
slightly reframed using tapas (spanish dishes). This problem is small
enough to fit in the 5 minutes time-frame and it actually illustrates some
of the salient points of the langauge: laziness of course,
list-comprehensions, monadic computations (replicateM), first-class and
higher-order functions, the REPL, integration with emacs, command-line

Here is the code https://gist.github.com/1948301

I got a lot of positive feedback during the evening as I did some more live
coding on simple problems (fizz-buzz, fibonacci) and I ended up showing
some code I wrote doing "real stuff", notably the simple music synthesizer
I wrote (https://github.com/abailly/haskell-synthesizer) for presenting
Haskell to Paris Scala user Group and inspired of course by Paul Hudak's
book and Joao Pizani's blog (
http://joaopizani.hopto.org/en/2012/01/haskell-synth/). The meeting ended
with an impromptu panel on the disadvantages of the languages presented by
each speaker which was really hard for me given the sheer perfection of

One advantage I mentionned somewhat indirectly which I should stress here
is the Haskell community: reactive, vibrant and kind are a few adjectives
that spring to my mind.

Thanks again for your support,
Arnaud Bailly