[Haskell-cafe] Help requested: naming things in conduit

Paolo Capriotti p.capriotti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:36:30 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just about ready to make the 0.5 release of conduit. And as usual,
> I'm running up against the hardest thing in programming: naming
> things.
>
> Here's the crux of the matter: in older versions of conduit, functions
> would have a type signature of Source, Sink, or Conduit. For example:
>
>    sourceFile :: MonadResource m => FilePath -> Source m ByteString
>
> I think most people can guess at what this function does: it produces
> a stream of ByteStrings, which are read from the given file.
>
> Now the trick: Source (and Sink and Conduit) are all type synonyms
> wrapping around the same type, Pipe. Ideally, we'd like to be able to
> reuse functions like sourceFile in other contexts, such as producing a
> Conduit that calls sourceFile[1]. However, the type synonym Source
> over-specifies some of the type parameters to Pipe, and therefore
> `sourceFile` can't be used directly to create a Conduit[2].
>
> To get around this whole problem, I've added a number of type synonyms
> with rank-2 types, that don't over-specify. You can see the type
> synonyms here[3], and more explanation of the problem here[4]. So my
> question is: can anyone come up with better names for these synonyms?
> Just to summarize here:
>
> * All of the generalized types start with a G, e.g., Source becomes GSource.
> * For Sinks and Conduits, if leftovers are generated, there's an L
> after the G (e.g., GLSink).
> * For Sinks and Conduits which consume all of their input and then
> return the upstream result, we tack on an Inf for Infinite (e.g.,
> GInfConduit, GLInfSink).
>
> I think these names are relatively descriptive, and certain `GSink
> ByteString m Int` is easier to follow than `Pipe l ByteString o u m
> Int`, but I was wondering if anyone had some better recommendations.

I ran into this problem myself with my implementation that used 7 type
parameter (the extra parameter wrt to conduit was used by Defer), and I
couldn't think of any satisfactory solution.

The dilemma here is:

 - exposing the full `Pipe` type as the primary API would be really confusing
   for new users
 - creating a bunch of type synonyms adds a lot of conceptual overhead, and
   it's actually a leaky abstraction, because `Pipe` will probably be shown in
   error messages, and appears in the signatures of basic combinators

In the end, I gave up the 2 non-essential parameters, built the corresponding
lost features on top of `Pipe` using newtypes, and decided to expose a
5-parameter `Pipe` type with no universally quantified synonyms.

I'm not sure how easy this Pipe type is to understand, but at least all
parameters have a clear meaning that can be explained in the documentation,
whereas the `l` parameter is sort of a hack (like my 'd' parameter).

BR,
Paolo