[Haskell-cafe] Martin Odersky on "What's wrong with Monads"

Ozgun Ataman ozataman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 00:59:08 CEST 2012

We could debate this endlessly (as is common), but I would argue that a "clean" design would make the option and alternative of multiplying explicit in its design instead of including calls to fetch command line arguments in an ad-hoc fashion everywhere.

The Haskell way of encoding this would be to define an app configuration data type (say AppConfig), parse the command line arguments into it upfront in IO and then run your application either in a in a monad that's an instance of (MonadReader MyConfig) or explicitly pass the option in where needed by a function. If you've designed your application this way, adding a new command line option would cause very little -if any- refactoring. If not, in my experience it is usually a 30 minute intense refactoring campaign.

I suspect there might be a way to use implicit arguments here as well, but that's something I've never felt compelled to use.

This kind of separation of concerns and "pure" application design is one of the things that (I think) many people really like about Haskell.

Cheers,
Oz