[Haskell-cafe] How do people still not understand what FP is about? What are we doing wrong?

Ben Kolera ben.kolera at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:42:25 CEST 2012

Agreed, definitely out of context now that he has inadvertently cleared that up since this post. That thing that they say about jumping to assumptions … definitely well proven and in force today. Shouldn't be posting to mailing lists so early in the morning. :-/

To be clear though, this post wasn't about calling anyone stupid. Chris most certainly isn't. Calling people stupid just because they disagree with you is a pretty awful thing and doesn't convince anyone anything. Maybe it was poorly worded, but I was more after ways to educate people why things are the way they are in haskell land and what powers that brings. The person is still able to disagree with that and prefer the old ways, but at least their decision wasn't fuelled by ignorance; which is the most important thing.

But yeah; this is all out of context so all of the above is fairly moot, anyhow.

Apologies for the wild early-morning assumptions, everyone!

Cheers,
Ben