[Haskell-cafe] How do people still not understand what FP is about? What are we doing wrong?

Jonathan Geddes geddes.jonathan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 22:39:30 CEST 2012

I believe you are observing and commiserating over what Paul Graham
famously refers to as "the blub paradox"[0].

Here is the problem from my perspective. It is a bootstrapping problem: you
have to think FP is good to invest the time to learn it, but you have to
invest a lot of time to learn it before you think it's good. This may be
why FP has found a place in academia--loads of smart people who want to
learn for the shear joy of learning.

In my experience, it is often useful to provide a person with another
motive to learn FP. If you can get them to learn anything at all, you can
hope to get the bootstrapping process going. For example, one friend of
mine really enjoys a good debate, but he really couldn't argue with me when
it came to FP and so he went off to learn it. Now we argue about Haskell vs
Scala for much more time than is productive, but he is sold on FP. In
another case a junior programmer asked me how he could be more productive
and I told him to learn FP.

Anyway, I don't think things are not as bleak as you might think. See, for
example [1]'s headline for the month of June.  While not exactly
scientific, it is encouraging.

[0] - http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html
[1] - http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

-J Arthur