[Haskell-cafe] How do people still not understand what FP is about? What are we doing wrong?

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Mon Jun 18 22:28:23 CEST 2012

Ben Kolera <ben.kolera at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Programming languages that require random senseless voodoo to get an
> effect are awesome. Let's make programming hard through poor design."
> [1]
>
> [...]
>
> Is it even worth trying to convince people so set in their ways?

Someone saying something as stupid as this probably won't be convinced
anyway.  The statement shows that he didn't even take the time to
actually learn what FP is about before judging, so chances are you're
just wasting your time.  Such people are stubborn enough not to be
convinced even by actual code.

Don't worry, though.  This is really the exceptional case.  In my
experience most people actually get the point of FP and appreciate its
better productivity, but simply don't feel like spending the time to
learn it along with the associated complexity of unlearning what they
previously knew.  The other people are largely neutral or say that they
personally can't imagine how that can make you productive (which is
honest and objective and provides a base for further discussion).

You just have to live with the fact that there will always be a small
percentage of retarded people.  It's best to just ignore them.

Greets,
Ertugrul