[Haskell-cafe] event handler

Corentin Dupont corentin.dupont at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:59:29 CEST 2012

I made some modifications based on your suggestions (see below).
I made a two parameters class:
*class (Typeable e, Typeable d) => Handled e d *
Because after all what I want is to associate an event with its type
parameters.
I don't know why I cannot implement you suggestion to restrict the
instances of Event:
*data **(Handled e d) => **Event e = Event deriving (Typeable, Eq)
*gives me a
*Not in scope: type variable `d'*

But apart from that it works very well! It's quite a nice interface!
Also just to know, is there a way of getting ride of all these "Typeable"?

{-# LANGUAGE ExistentialQuantification, DeriveDataTypeable,
MultiParamTypeClasses #-}

*module Events (addEvent, newPlayer, newRule) where

import Control.Monad
import Data.List
import Data.Typeable

newtype Player = P Int deriving Typeable
newtype Rule = R Int deriving Typeable
data Event e = Event deriving (Typeable, Eq)

data NewPlayer deriving Typeable
data NewRule deriving Typeable

newPlayer :: Event NewPlayer
newPlayer = Event
newRule :: Event NewRule
newRule = Event

class (Typeable e, Typeable d) => Handled e d
instance Handled NewPlayer Player
instance Handled NewRule Rule

data EventHandler = forall e d . (Handled e d) => EH (Event e) (d -> IO ())

addEvent :: (Handled e d) => Event e -> (d -> IO ()) -> [EventHandler] ->
[EventHandler]
addEvent e h ehs = (EH e h):ehs

triggerEvent :: (Handled e d) => Event e -> d -> [EventHandler] -> IO ()
triggerEvent e d ehs = do
    let r = find (\(EH myEvent _) -> cast e == Just myEvent) ehs
    case r of
       Nothing -> return ()
       Just (EH _ h) -> case cast h of
        Just castedH -> castedH d
        Nothing -> return ()

-- TESTS
h1 :: Player -> IO ()
h1 (P a) = putStrLn $ "Welcome Player " ++ (show a) ++ "!"
h2 :: Rule -> IO ()
h2 (R a) = putStrLn $ "New Rule " ++ (show a)
eventList1 = addEvent newPlayer h1 []
eventList2 = addEvent newRule h2 eventList1

trigger1 = triggerEvent newPlayer (P 1) eventList2 --Yelds "Welcome Player
1!"
trigger2 = triggerEvent newRule (R 2) eventList2 --Yelds "New Rule 2" *

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Alexander Solla <alex.solla at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Corentin Dupont <
> corentin.dupont at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It just bothers me a little that I'm not able to enumerate the events,
>> and also that the user is able to create events with wrong types (like New
>> :: Event String), even if they won't be able to register them.
>>

> This can be solved with an explicit export list/smart constructors.
>
> newPlayer :: Event Player
> newRule    :: Event Rule
> (hide the New constructor)
>
> In any case, my thinking was that your original
>
> data Event = *NewPlayer | NewRule*
> *
> *
> was basically trying to "join" the semantics of "new things" with Player
> and Rule.  But the original approach ran into the problem you mention below
> -- it is difficult to maintain invariants, since the types want to
> "multiply".  So formally, I factored:
>
> data Event = NewPlayer | NewRule ==>
> data Event = New (Player | Rule)    ==>
> data Event d = New -- (since the original event didn't want a Player or
> Rule value.  It witnessed the type relation)
>
> On the other hand, if you want to make sure that a type must be "Handled"
> before you can issue an Event, you can do:
>
> data (Handled d) => Evend d = New
>
> I'm pretty sure the compiler will complain if you try to make a (New ::
> Event String).  I like this idea better than smart constructors for events,
> if only because you get to use ScopedTypeVariables.
>

>> I also have several unrelated events that use the same type of data, so
>> this would be a problem.
>

> Can you clarify?

I mean that I have events like:
Message String
UserEvent String
That have a "data" of the same type, but they are not related.