[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] JustHub 'Sherkin' Release

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Jun 14 23:49:24 CEST 2012

[This discussion was started on the Haskell mailing list in response
to an announcement I made which you can read here

	http://justhaskell.org/2012/06/13/announce-justhub-sherkin/

At issue is whether the JustHub Haskell distribution for Enterprise Linux
and
the hub hackage for sandboxing development projects and integrating multiple
GHC
tool chains is redundant because all of the functionality is covered by the
Nix Haskell distribution, allowing as they do multiple Nix Haskell releases
be deployed simultaneously.]

    (cd = Chris Dornan, al = Andres Löh)

    cd:     > The key feature is the way it integrates the multiple tool
chains into
    cd:     > a single virtual tool chain with a sandboxing mechanism
provided by
    cd:    > the hub hackage.

    cd:    > I think the Nix distribution might be a natural fit for 'hub'
    cd:    > integration -- I would be happy to work with the Nix people on
that
    cd:    > (though it can't be right now).

    al:  If this adds anything in terms of functionality that Nix doesn't
already provide,
    al:  then I would be interested to know. From having a quick look at
your
    al:  announcements, it's not quite clear though if it does.

Hi Adres,