[Haskell-cafe] What extension do I need to write "type Job = Map k a"?

Arlen Cuss ar at len.me
Thu Jun 14 05:23:51 CEST 2012

(resending to café, turns out I wasn't subbed from this address.)

Hi Magicloud,
This is correct; because you've hidden the type-variables away by universally quantifying them, there's no more level of specificity you can get back *out* of them than just "some kind of Map" (Job = M.Map k b, where k ≠ k0, b ≠ b0).

If you have a Job type which can store *any* kind of Map (forall k a. Job (Map k a)), then that means you could have a Job with a Map Int Bool, and a Job with a Map String (Float -> Float), and they'd both have the same type "Job". You can't do anything with the values within, because you're being too permissive about what a Job is.

You may want "data Job k a = Job (Map k a)", *or* if you do actually use one kind of Map only, then why not "data Job = Job (Map Int String)" (substituting your real types for Int and String). In this case, you could also consider using newtype ("newtype Job = Job { getJob :: Map Int String }") to provide the guarantee that you're getting a Job (and not any Map Int String) without performance loss.

Let me know if I've been more confusing than helpful;

Arlen