[Haskell-cafe] Warning when attempting to install cabal-dev on the latest HP

Edward Amsden eca7215 at cs.rit.edu
Wed Jun 13 15:20:35 CEST 2012

http://hpaste.org/69885

The warning in that paste occurs when I attempt
$ cabal update
$ cabal install cabal-dev

This is curious because it wants to install a previous version of mtl.
I can't figure out why. There doesn't seem to be any dependency
between cabal-dev and mtl. According to hackage, the dependencies for
cabal-dev are:

cabal-dev -> (base, Cabal)
Cabal -> (base, filepath)
filepath -> (base)
base -> ()

The dependencies for mtl are (just to show no conflicts)
mtl -> (base, transformers)
transformers -> (base)
base -> ()

And there's not a versioning conflict with base.

Why is cabal insisting on backdating mtl then?