[Haskell-cafe] Importing modules in GHCi

Artyom Kazak artyom.kazak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:30:04 CEST 2012

Hi Café, I would greatly appreciate your help. Entering the following in
GHCi
produces an error message…

     --> import Data.Time
     --> getCurrentTime >>= print

     <interactive>:1:20:
         No instance for (Show UTCTime)
           arising from a use of `print'
         Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Show UTCTime)
         In the second argument of `(>>=)', namely `print'
         In the expression: getCurrentTime >>= print
         In an equation for `it': it = getCurrentTime >>= print

…but when I create a file with `import Data.Time` in it, and load the file
in GHCi,
everything works as expected.

Is it a bug in GHCi, or a feature? I’m using Haskell Platform 2012.2.0.1.